Today in school I was helping Audrey with her vocabulary words. The word we were looking up in the dictionary was "apprenticed". We had read about Captain John Smith earlier in the week and how he had been apprenticed to learn a trade. Since Audrey had no idea what the word meant I thought it would be great for her to learn a new word. We looked it up and I read the definition to her which was,
"a person who works for another in order to learn a trade." I could tell by the look on her face that she had no idea what that meant. So I began to give her examples to try and help her understand. I used the example of a plumber and a carpenter, but she still was not clear on what it meant. Bob happened to be in the kitchen and over heard our conversation and decided to give me a hand. Since my examples obviously were not working, he tried a different approach.
Bob: "It is just like in Star Wars. Darth Maul was
apprenticed by the Emperor."
Audrey: "Oh, I get it."

Now why didn't I think of that?!
3 comments:
Sweet! You are ahead of us. I'm saving that for when Ry hits it. That will work perfect. LOL.
Like Father, Like Daughter. Just add Star Wars to anything.
This sounds EXACTLY like our house! I will talk and explain and they just look at me like huh? But Dad walks in and throws a movie analogy and boom it clicks!!!
Post a Comment