Friday, March 21, 2008

Week in Review

This week we learned about the expansion of the 13 Colonies and we began to read about the life of George Washington. We read the famous story about him chopping down the cherry tree and then confessing to his father what he had done. Our memory verse this week reinforced the fact that we should always tell the truth. It was Psalm 34:13 "Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies." We also did a Easter unit study that I found online. It covered Palm Sunday, The Last Supper, The Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus dying on the cross, His resurrection, and His time on earth before the acension. I want my children to understand that the real reason for Easter is to celebrate what Christ has done for us all when He died and rose again.

We also began 2 new read alouds this week since we finished Charlotte's Web and Chatterer the Red Squirrel last week. Audrey absolutely loves the Burgess books and I am planning on ordering as many as I can from Rainbow Resource to read over the summer. They have many of them for under $2.00 each. I hope you enjoy the rest of our week in review. Have a great weekend!



Math: This week Audrey was introduced to telling time to the quarter hour and to spheres, cylinders, and cones. We also reviewed skip counting, counting money, and subtraction.



Phonics: Here is a sample of what we worked on in First Reader and Explode the Code this week. The ETC page has my writing on the left and Audrey's on the right. She still likes having an example to copy when writing in lower case letters.



Science: This week we studied two animals from "Down Under". We learned about the Koala and the Kangaroo. The kids also made a textured map of the Blue Ridge Mountains. This was an activity from Little Hearts that went along with our study of the expansion of the 13 Colonies.





Here is Nathan in his Spiderman pajamas adding grass to his map. Yes....the kids sometimes do school work in their pj's. Another one of the joys of homeschooling.



I used a corn cob holder to mix the glue and the water and it worked out great.



As you can see from this photo, Nathan sometimes does school with "bed head" as well. It is fine with me as long as it is clean and we are not leaving the house.



Adding the goldfish to the river was my idea. I thought it was a nice touch.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Love the Goldfish. I think I'm going to order more of the Burgess books also. I like to order them directly from Dover. They have a great catalog.

Amy said...

I love the "pajamas"!
My youngest son wore his Superman pajamas with the cape for the entire year of first grade. That is one of my favorite homeschool memories. He would "fly" around the living room sometimes while I called out his spelling words.:)