The novelty of school wore off for Nathan by Wednesday, but he stuck with it and had a good attitude about it. As long as we were done in an hour he did very well. He is already reading and knows his numbers, so I am focusing on helping him learn to write and to sit and listen to read-alouds. I also have him read to me each day to improve his reading skills. Then we always have a fun craft or activity that is part of our Little Hearts curriculum.
Here he is with a craft he made showing that Jesus is at the center of all of history.
This is him doing his math today, which is his favorite subject do far.
Audrey did very well this week with Bigger Hearts. This program fits her perfectly and she enjoyed all of the activities we did. She especially liked notebooking for science, doing science experiments, drawings maps, looking up vocabulary words, and learning to write in cursive. For history we read about Columbus sailing across the Atlantic so we practiced learning all the continents and oceans. Here is a shot of a geography project we did to help her learn where they all go. She wrote the names of all the oceans and continents on the index cards and then had to put them on the balloon in the correct location.
In science we are learning about the ocean and we looked at tides and waves this week. We did an experiment to find out why some items sink and some float. I made this worksheet for her to fill out and she loved it. We are big Sid the Science Kid fans around here. :) I did the writing for her because she can't write that small yet, and she did the drawings.
This is a notebooking assignment she did showing the affect the moon has on the tide. Underneath her drawing she wrote Psalm 95:5 The sea is His, for He made it.
Here she is this morning practicing her cursive writing. We are using Cheerful Cursive and I love it. It not only teaches her to write in cursive, but to read it as well. This is one of her favorite things to do each day and I am surprised at how good she is at it.
I hope you enjoyed seeing a snapshot of our week. I am so pleased with my curriculum choices so far, especially Heart of Dakota. I will try and do a review each week so you can follow us in our homeschooling journey this year. God bless!!




8 comments:
Sounds like a great week. I'm glad to hear you handled two kiddos well. It takes a bit of getting used to.
I'm holding off on Cheerful Cursive a few weeks (maybe months). Ry needs reviewing of his print (BOYS!!).
Glad to see your week went so well! We just love Heart of Dakota as well! Thanks for sharing!
Looks like a wonderful week! We are starting Monday (unless I'm not able to finish my planning this weekend) and are also using BHFHG and LHFHG. May I ask where you got your science and notebooking forms? Or did you make them yourself? I was going to create my own, but if they are downloadable somewhere, I'd much rather do that.
Looking forward to learning with your family this year! :)
Tana-I made the science form myself and the other one was just some paper I bought at RR. I'm sure you could fund some printable ones online. I hope you have a great school year. :)
Yay! So glad you had a good first week!!
Can't wait to see how the rest of your year goes!
Maybe she can teach PA how to writing in cursive.
We're also using LHFHG but for grade 1. Sounds like a great week.
You're making me excited to start LHFHG! :-)
I hope you have a very blessed school year!
Michelle
Post a Comment