Thursday, October 29, 2009

Week in Review 10/26/09-10/30/09

It has been awhile since I have done a week in review, so this post has pictures from the last few weeks. The kids are in the middle of Unit 10 in Bigger and Little Hearts and are making great progress. Here is what they have been up to.

Nathan

This is Nathan's self-portrait that he drew for an art assignment. For some reason he gave himself 4 arms and 4 legs. Maybe he thinks he looks like General Grievous. LOL!



Next he was asked to think of some qualities that he has on the inside. He came up with: kind, loving, nice, and fun.



In Unit 9 we read about God healing Naaman of leprosy after he washed in the river 7 times. For science I took a piece of saran wrap and drew a circle with a permanent marker to be a sore. Then he colored it in with brown washable marker and put oil on it with a cotton ball. This was to represent the dirt and oil we get on our skin. Then it was time to dip it in the sink 7 times to see if it would come clean. After we added soap, all the dirt and oil came off.



This week we read about Rack, Shack & Benny (if you don't know who I am talking about, go watch Veggie Tales) being thrown into the fiery furnace because they would not bow to an idol. Nathan painted flames on a paper that said "3+1" since that is how many people were in the fire.



Overall Nathan is doing very well in school. His attitude has greatly improved and I am thankful. I would like to take credit for his positive change, but I can't. The credit goes to Awana. In order to earn one of his jewels he had to do everything we asked him to do, including school, without complaining for 5 days. Praise God for Awana! :)

Audrey

A couple weeks ago Audrey learned about our solar system in science. Here is a model we did showing the distance each planet is from the sun. I had to move some furniture in my living room in order to make it accurate. She had a lot of fun with this activity and it was a great visual.



In history we read about different plants that are grown in South Carolina. Here is her drawing of a rice plant and an indigo plant for her science notebook.



We also read in history about the conflict between the settlers in Plymouth and the Indians and the war that resulted called King Philip's War. We learned about how the Indians made wampum out of clam shells and used it as money. In this picture Audrey is making a wampum belt for her history notebook. She used glue and white rice to make it. Some of the rice I dyed purple to make it more decorative. I helped her put some of the rice on, but she did most of it herself.



Here is the finished product in her history notebook.



This week we have been reading about Benjamin Franklin and all of the inventions he is responsible for. We learned that he was an apprentice in a printing shop his brother owned when he was young. To get an idea for how printing was done then, we cut a pear in half and carved Audrey's initial in it. Then she dipped it in paint and "printed" it on her paper.



Audrey was asked to come up with an invention of her own and make a sketch of it. Her invention is called an Ear Horn. It is a device that you put up to your ear in order to hear things that are far away. She said she would like one so she can find out if Martha Speaks is T.V. in the morning without having to get out of her bed. Too funny! Anyway, I thought it was very creative and I had fun watching her draw it and explain to me how each part would work.





Well, there you have it! I will try and be better about posting each week. Have a wonderful weekend and God bless! :)

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I love seeing what is coming up next! Yeh, wishing I had something other than a WHITE floor for our planet craft. I felt like it all blended in. The kids (even the big one) loved doing that though.

Great pix!!

Butterfly said...

I loved the science experiment about dirt and oil washing off! What a great way to demonstrate that! Awesome pics!